ITM T3: Terminology, Thesaurus, Taxonomy, Metadata dictionary
ITM T3 includes a range of functions for managing enterprise shareable multilingual domain-specific taxonomies, thesaurus, terminologies. It can be used as a domain-specific vocabulary server for employees, customers, authors, and translators, but also as a service to enhance enterprise search engines, authoring tools, user guides, content indexation engines and text mining software.
ITM T3 is a piece of software for managing company reference material. It enables terminology, thesauri, taxonomies and a metadata dictionary to be managed in a unified way.
ITM T3 is a web solution which is simple to deploy in an intranet, and which enables collaborative work within the company. ITM T3 is completely multilingual. ITM T3 has been designed as an open, normalised solution, which is simple to integrate in an information system thanks to Web Services and API, and which uses XML, SKOS and RDF standards.
ITM T3 has been adopted by a number of large international groups: Lafarge, Thomson Scientific, Wolters Kluwer Belgium, Lexis Nexis France, among others, to manage reference material.
ITM T3: Thesaurus management
- thesaurus administration web interfaces enabling distributed, collaborative work
- management of an unlimited number of multilingual thesauri with recognition of Latin, Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese alphabets, among others
- complete, enrichable description of descriptors (multiple designations, scope notes, associated image, level in the hierarchy, etc.)
- management of synonymy, generic term/specific term, associated term relationships
- management of specific domain relationships (...is the cause of..., ...is a component of...)
- management of poly-hierarchies
- management of equivalence relationships (mapping) between thesauri for transcodification operations or bringing items of heterogeneous content closer together
- descriptor merge operations
- copying, moving hierarchical structures from the thesaurus
- creating alphabetical and hierarchical lists
- search, navigation, consultation functions
- graphical representation of hierarchies and associated term relationships
- import and export of thesauri (XML, RDF, SKOS)
- terminology server accessible by all applications via web services or API
ITM T3: Taxonomy management
In this context, taxonomy is taken to mean any hierarchical organisation of headings or concepts used for classifying content (classification taxonomies) or for navigation within a portal (publication taxonomy used in faceted searches).
- taxonomies editing
- moving parts of the taxonomy
- creating requests for content to be used by search engines in faceted searches
- importing/exporting taxonomies in XML/SKOS format
- taxonomies accessible via API and Web Services
ITM T3: Management of Terminology, Lexicons, Glossaries
- administration web interface enabling collaborative work between terminologists for translating and enriching definitions
- complete management of a term's definition with the facility to expand as required (definition, source, example of usage, translation, etc.)
- terminology management by domain within the company
- search and consultation interfaces for end-users within the intranet or company websites : clicking on a term in an intranet or website gives direct access to its definition
- XML and SKOS import and export
- terminology server accessible by all applications via web services
ITM T3: Metadata dictionary
ITM T3 is by its nature a metadata reference enabling any type of organisation of this reference material: lists, thesauri, classification taxonomies.
ITM T3 is used as reference material in content indexing processes. It may be called upon by any external application to check the validity of a metadata value or to obtain the metadata to be used.
ITM T3 enables equivalence tables to be managed between metadata dictionaries to allow re-indexing of content or translation of requests for indexed content in a heterogeneous way.
Based on URI, RDF and SKOS standards, ITM enables the metadata dictionary to be exchanged and published in open formats
ITM T3: Reference material shared by all the linguistic tools
Applications based on linguistics are increasingly common within organisations: search engine, text mining and data mining tools, authoring help tools, spellcheckers, translation tools, comprehension help function.
The ITM application enables multilingual domain vocabulary to be managed in a unified and normalised way in order to provide the various linguistic applications with up-to-date specialist vocabulary.
Enrichment of existing tool functionalities
- search engine: automatic extension of searches to cover synonyms, acronyms, more specific terms, translations.
- search portal: use of publication taxonomies for faceted searches
- text mining: use of up-to-date specialist vocabulary to manage the extraction of named entities
- translation: use of up-to-date specialist multilingual vocabulary for processing assisted translation
- spellchecker: enrichment of the standard dictionary with the company's specialist dictionary comprehension help: clicking on an expression gives direct access to its definition in the specialist reference material
ITM T3: Some examples of thesauri imported in ITM for client's projects
- Eurovoc of the European Commission
- Gemet: European thesaurus specialising in sustainable development and ecology
- Mesh, Snomed int, CIM10, CCAM, CISMeF, CISP2, DRC, Medline+, CIF... medical thesauri
- Tourism thesaurus of the World Tourism Organisation
- Official Geographic Code of Insee published in RDF by Mondeca
- Unesco Thesaurus
- Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
All these thesauri are published by ITM in SKOS, and are available in this format